Bananas Foster is a dessert made from bananas and vanilla ice cream, with a sauce made from butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, dark rum and banana liqueur. The butter, sugar and bananas are cooked, and the alcohol is added and ignited.
Let’s get back to the basics, shall we?
I like bananas foster but not with all the butter and sugar, and I certainly don’t have any rum in the house (unfortunately). But if you have some rum extract, you could definitely add this (but it’s completely optional). However, a little rum in the morning before work would be lovely, don’t you think?! I think Captain Hook would agree.
Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup water (or milk of preference)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 packet of stevia (or sweetener of preference)
- 1 banana (divided)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of brown sugar
- sugar-free maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp rum extract (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix together your oats, stevia, baking powder, vanilla extract, water and half of your banana (mashed).
- Spray a mini ramekin or cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour your oatmeal into your pan, and set aside.
- In a skillet coated with cooking spray, add a splash of milk, cinnamon, rum extract, maple syrup and brown sugar, and whisk together. Add the other half of your banana (cut into slices) and gently stir into your mixture. Cook over medium-heat until your banana slices are caramelized (3-5 minutes). Pour over your oatmeal, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When your oatmeal is done baking, immediately top with ice cream or yogurt if desired. Or top with your favorite ingredients (nut butter, cinnamon, chocolate chips, pecans, etc.)
- Calories: 260 kcal
- Carbs: 51 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Fat: 3 g