You go in for a few items, and you come out with more than what was on your original list.
But if you’re a bargain shopper like myself, you know what and what not to get.
For an up-scale health-food store, Trader Joes actually has a lot of good deals. I know that when I go to Trader Joes, that I’m going in for mostly fresh produce (vegetables, fruits), and other favorites that you can not find anywhere else.
Today I’m going to share with you an easy recipe that doesn’t take much preparation or cook time, and is affordable for even a college student.
Here is what you will need:
- Trader Joe’s Organic 3-grain Tempeh – $1.69
- Trader Joe’s Shredded Green Cabbage – $2.19
- Trader Joe’s Frozen Asian Stir-Fry Vegetables – $3.99
- Trader Joe’s Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette – $1.99
- Trader Joe’s Organic Black Beans – $1.19
- Trader Joe’s Seasoning Salute – $1.99
- Coconut Oil (or extra-virgin oil, etc.)
- Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce (optional)
All of this racks up (minus the coconut oil and soy sauce) for less than $15!
Sesame Ginger Soy Tempeh Stir-Fry
- 1 package of shredded green cabbage
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1/4 cup Trader Joe’s Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1 package of 3-grain tempeh
- 1/2 tsp Trader Joe’s seasoning salute (or seasonings of preference)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- coconut oil (for frying)
- In a medium skillet, heat about 1 tbsp coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil) over medium-high heat. Once your skillet is heated up, add your strips of tempeh and sprinkle with (a dash or two) your seasoning salute. Cook your tempeh over medium-high heat until browned, then set aside.
- In another large skillet, heat up a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and add your stir-fry veggies and cook until tender (6-7 minutes). Then add the rest of your ingredients (cabbage, black beans, dressing, soy sauce). Stir everything together, and cook until your cabbage is well done (it should be wilted and soft). Season with salt & pepper.
- Finally, plate your stir-fry onto four plates. Distribute your tempeh strips on top of each stir-fry, and serve immediately.
Pair it with quinoa, rice, pasta, or a slice of bread to make it a complete meal.